Radon Test Results

In March, the Marlboro School partnered with the Vermont Department of Health’s Radon Program to conduct a screening of the school for radon gas.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that originates from soil and bedrock. All buildings contain some level of radon gas in the indoor environment. Long-term exposure to elevated levels of radon gas is associated with an increased risk of lung cancer. The Health Department and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommend that all homes and schools be tested for radon, and that actions be taken to reduce radon levels detected at or above 4.0 picoCuries per liter (pCi/L). Radon levels below 4.0 pCi/L still pose some risk, and so the Health Department and US EPA recommend considering acting to reduce radon levels detected at or above 2.0 pCi/L.

On March 27, 2017, the Health Department placed 14 screening test kits in the school and retrieved all the kits 72 hours later. All screening test results were below 2.0 pCi/L. These results indicate no further action is necessary now. The Health Department encourages schools to retest every 5 years and after every major renovation project.

If you are interested in testing your own home for radon you can request a free long-term test kit from the Health Department by calling 1-800-439-8550 or emailing radon@vermont.gov.

If you have questions or concerns you may contact Principal Marbury at Marlboro Elementary School.